[hojia] OLPC Help

Yuan Chao yuanchao at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 22:53:00 CST 2007

On 10/25/07, Tobey Tamber <taiwantobey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My name is Tobey, and I live in Kaohsiung.  I teach
> math and English and own a coffee shop (Games Cafe).
> Several of my students and I will be getting some OLPC
> laptops with the Give 1 get 1 program (or the Give
It's nice to hear the people in Kaohsiung are working on OLPC.
Currently, for member of TOSSUG, Andrew Lee is working on porting
Debian to XO and I'm working on the Chinese environment setup
especially on the font display tuning. I also have translated some
small part of the UI.
http://picasaweb.google.com/yuanchao/OLPC/photo#5123936012637113218

However, there are still lots of them need to work on. If you are
interesting in the translation part. Maybe you can start from here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_l10n

Also currently the OLPC web page has a few pages in zh-TW which is
actually converted from zh-CN by a simplified Chinese speaker.
Translating the pages and some improvements on the wordings on the
existing ones also need lots of manpower.

> so long, so I cannot help much there.  We are thinking
> instead to work on a public domain children's
> Chinese/English dictionary, and helping with any
> translating work that we can.
Actually, Ping and I have worked on similar projects before. However,
the current available databases more or less have some license legal
concerns. A dictionary database constructed from a wiki style editing
would be hard to prevent non-free material put in. It would be great
if you know of any PD Chinese/English dictionary database available.

> help you?  Most of my students are in 4th grade, but
> they can translate well, and one is working on Python
> now in order to try to write some children friendly
> docs in Chinese.
It's quite a pity that I won't be able to join the events that Ping
hold for OLPC. I would expect quite exciting experience if you can
join.

--
Best regards,
Yuan Chao