[hojia] OLPC Help

Tobey Tamber taiwantobey at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 13:07:19 CST 2007

> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_l10n
>
> Also currently the OLPC web page has a few pages in
> zh-TW which is
> actually converted from zh-CN by a simplified
> Chinese speaker.
> Translating the pages and some improvements on the
> wordings on the
> existing ones also need lots of manpower.

Thanks!  We'll get started on it right away.

> > so long, so I cannot help much there.  We are
> thinking
> > instead to work on a public domain children's
> > Chinese/English dictionary, and helping with any
> > translating work that we can.
> Actually, Ping and I have worked on similar projects
> before. However,
> the current available databases more or less have
> some license legal
> concerns. A dictionary database constructed from a
> wiki style editing
> would be hard to prevent non-free material put in.
> It would be great
> if you know of any PD Chinese/English dictionary
> database available.

I found this:
http://www.mandarintools.com/cedict.html

but like all large dictionaries, it doesn't fit
children very well.  I was thinking of also building a
database using only the more common words, so that
kids can find the words they want to instead of
finding the exact translation.  (for example, return
"dog" rather than "canine")

One idea I was thinking of was some kind of layering,
such that if the word searched for wasn't in the kid
version, it would jump to the adult dictionary to fill
the hole.  I probably have some more thinking to do
for it, but I'll start on the translations right away.

> It's quite a pity that I won't be able to join the
> events that Ping
> hold for OLPC. I would expect quite exciting
> experience if you can
> join.

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. I'm the tall white
guy with a big belly.  :-)

Thanks!

Tobey